History of Hadi
|The Time - May 1,
1909, Place - The Masonic Temple, 2nd and Locust Streets, Evansville, Indiana.
Purpose - The instituting of this Shrine.
Nobel E.J. Jacoby, as Deputy of the Imperial Potentate, presented a dispensation
from the Imperial Council, empowering the newly organized Temple to transact business as a
|The meeting, called to
order at 8:00 p.m. was presided over by the following officers as Deputies of the Imperial
|Elias J. Jacoby, of
Murat Temple, Imperial Potentate
Charles Mays, of Murat Temple, Chief Rabban
Harry E. Sharrer, of Murat Temple, Assistant Rabban
Robert A. Woods, of Murat Temple, High Priest and Prophet
David W. Scammell, of Crescent Temple, Oriental Guide
Henry F. Fenneman, of Murat Temple, Treasurer
Clifford Shopbell, of Murat Temple, Recorder
|The name Hadi - was
suggested by Noble Clarence Hinkle and was adopted for the new Temple. The election of
officers by ballot resulted in the following:
|John R. Sterne -
Edward F. Sonntag - Chief Rabban
Robert H. Pennington - Assistant Rabban
F. Harold VanOrman - High Priest & Prophet
Henry Faul - Oriental Guide
Henry F. Fenneman - Treasurer
Clifford Shopbell - Recorder
|At the next meeting
the Illustrious Potentate Sterne appointed eight more nobles to complete the first Divan.
|Edward P. Busse -
First Ceremonial Master
John E. Barnes - Second Ceremonial Master
Clarence Hinkle - Director
Dan M. Fairchild - First Assistant Director
Will W. Sipp - Second Assistant Director
Harry H. Ogden - Marshal
Howard Anderson - Inner Guard
Charles Seeley - Outer Guard
|In this historic
meeting, a duly appointed committee, drafted by-laws for Hadi Temple. These, after being
submitted to the Imperial Committee of Jurisprudence, and being amended to meet their
suggestions, were adopted. Thus, in the beginning, Noble John R. Sterne, past Potentate,
under dispensation May 1, 1909 to April 13, 1910 under charter April 13, 1910 to December
31, 1910. Representative to the Imperial Council in 1911, 1913, 1914, 1915 and 1916.
On May 28, 1909, the work was communicated to a class of six candidates. The first
class to receive the Shrine in Hadi Temple. On June 7, 1909, a delegation attended the
Imperial Council at Louisville, their object being to request the Imperial Council for a
The first ceremonial session was held September 25, 1909. The Divan of Murat Temple
conducted the work and sixty-eight candidates were initiated into the Shrine. The Scottish
Rite Cathedral located at Second and Chestnut was the place of indoctoration.
On December 12, 1909, another Ceremonial Session was held. Twenty-eight candidates
were made Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. This time the work was given by the members of the
At a special meeting May 21, 1910 held in the Masonic Hall at Second & Locust,
marked the official birth of Hadi Temple.
The alarm being answered, Nobles E.J. Jacoby, representing the Imperial Potentate,
and H.H. Ogden, representing the Imperial Marshal were admitted. After making known his
authority, Noble Jacoby ordered all the offices vacated.
He then read the official charter, dated April 13, 1910, and called for the
election of officers. The ballot resulted in the election of all the previously approinted
Nobles holding that office. The officers were installed by Noble Jacoby and took their
respective station. At this time Noble Elias J. Jacoby was made an honorary member of the
PURCHASE OF MOSQUE
In the year 1919, William B. Munford, Illustrious Potentate, was authorized to
appoint a secret committee to investigate sites for the location fo a Mosque. In a report
given before the lodge on December 18, several pieces of property were described, and the
committee recommended the purchase of the property at 2nd and Chestnut Street, including
two residences which were paying rent to the Shrine.
The present property, originally the Hayden Hospital was purchased in 1923, ( a
cost of $45,000.00). A $5,000.00 mortgage was paid off in 1936 by Noble John Carson.